Friday, March 03, 2006

Smaller, Less Intrusive Government Please, but Bigger and More Intrusive

It seems that every time I hear right-wingers opine about "government out of our lives", in the next breath they want larger government, intrusive government, wasteful government, IN our lives when it comes to certain social issues.

Now the actor Bruce Willis, who has been in a lot of movies I've liked, displays the same characteristic.

On the one hand he says, while backtracking about being a Republican in Hollywood,
I want less government intrusion. I want them to stop [expletive] on my money and your money and tax dollars that we give 50 percent of... every year. I want them to be fiscally responsible and I want these [expletive] lobbyists out of Washington.
But then comes the usual reflex:
The 51-year-old action movie star fears little is being done to stop drug trafficking, and he's seriously thinking about challenging politicians to attack the problem head-on.
...
I'm talking also about going to Colombia and doing whatever it takes to end the cocaine trade.
So Willis wants government out of our lives, and he wants the government to stop being so wasteful, to stop taking so much of his money in taxes. In the same breath he also wants government to have an expensive, intrusive foreign policy, and he backs a failed, fabulously wasteful drug policy.

Mr. Willis should consider the message offered by these real cops.

One of my favorite Willis flicks was The Sixth Sense, but ...

1 comment:

jj mollo said...

Willis is very likable. He was good in Moonlighting. I'm not sure I've seen any of his movies. I think he does a lot of macho movies, macho roles. I guess I agree with him about Iraq, though I think he's getting carried away. I am a big Michael Yon fan.

It would be best if actors just stayed away from politics. That boy must have been talking about the Oscars ceremony (LOL). With children there is a temptation to treat them motivationally as adults, holding them responsible for actions and decisions that are beyond them. The reaason is that it's hard to tell how poorly they understand the world because they speak so well. I think actors have a similar problem. They have refined those adult-imitation skills so well that we think they really operate on that level.