Sunday, July 22, 2007

Fresh Thorns



Last week I got a letter from the power company saying they couldn't read the meter because the trees had grown to block their line of sight (I guess they use binoculars rather than jump the locked gate).

In the background of the picture is Camelback mountain. In the middle-ground are the mesquite trees I tried not to hurt myself on, and in the foreground is the reason I wasn't successful. For scale, that's my forefingertip supporting the stick of thorns, which are stout and extremely sharp.

1 comment:

jj mollo said...

Ouch.

We have a problem with our power company. I think they read the meters by radio. But the thing that bothers me is how they protect the power lines. With overhead power lines and lots of trees, sometimes the trees damage the lines during wind storms. The power company trims the trees to prevent interferrence. Unfortunately, they have outsourced the tree work and the contractor is positively brutal about the way that the trees are pruned. It is not unusual for a tree to die after their TLC, and it's quite common that it becomes an eyesore.

I don't know if you have enough trees in AZ to appreciate my concerns.